I dunno about you, but this girl is 22!!
It literally feels like I only just turned 21 yesterday but somehow an entire year has gone by and i’m another year older. Crazy how time flies, isn’t it? On your birthday people always ask – do you feel any different?? and the answer is always no lol but i’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately and the truth is – I do! I feel like i’ve learned a lot of pretty important life lessons this year and duh it would be flat out rude not to share! So here are 21 things being 21 has taught me ♥
1. “To love yourself is the beginning of a lifelong romance”. Okay, so this is actually a quote but i’ve never really understood it until this year. I’ve always struggled to really like myself – sad, but true. I’ve never been able to see what others see in me and i’ve always struggled with my self image and self confidence. This year, I learned how important it is to love yourself. there’s a fine line between confidence and being cocky, but don’t be afraid to shine where you can. you need to love yourself before you can love anyone else.
2. It’s totally okay to still be a kid sometimes – be young while you can! Take the time to enjoy life! more ice cream, more disney, more living room dance parties pls!
3. I have no room for toxic people in my life. Flush em out people!! The world is filled with so much negativity already, you don’t need to willingly add even more into your life. It may sting at first, but you really will be so much better off!
4. I really really hate beer. I know it isn’t deep and it isn’t really a life lesson, but if there’s one thing i’ve learned from my bar star adventures this year – I hate beer. I’ve tried so hard, but it just isn’t happening lol my boyfriend is super upset about it too (sorry babes)
5. It’s okay not to have a million friends. My whole life, i’ve always felt a little bit on the outside. I see some of the people I know and they have what seems like hundreds of close friends and i’ve always thought I was strange for not. It’s okay not to!! This is a cliche, I know, but i’ve really learned the importance of having a handful of really close friends rather than a million fake ones.
6. Change is a good thing. Embrace it! Where one door closes, another door opens
7. It’s okay to be vulnerable and weak sometimes. Nobody could possibly be strong 100% of the time and it’s okay to have to lean on your loved ones sometimes for support!
8. Take risks. Don’t be afraid of failure!!
9. Things rarely ever just happen. If you want something, you have to work for it! Good things come to those who work their asses off!
10. Don’t compare yourself to other people. We are all different for a reason – it’s what makes life so interesting. Why would you ever want to be exactly like somebody else when you’re perfect exactly the way you are??? People move at their own pace, comparing yourself to other people will only hold you back.
11. Self care is so important – physically and mentally. Taking days to yourself is so important, especially when you lead a busy life. You like to take care of others, and that’s so amazing but how can you be there for other people when you’re struggling to be there for yourself?? Sometimes you really do need to put you first
12. Stop caring what people think! Once you learn to ignore the judgemental eyes of others, you really will feel so much more free. Who cares what they think anyway?? No room for the haters here!
13. Do not give up!!
14. Don’t ignore your parents – take the time to reach out as much as you can! I know, they’ve spent your entire life embarrassing you every second they get lol, but they love you so much. It’s so important to keep those bonds tight and time really does fly. Go kiss your mama’s people!!
15. Everything happens for a reason. Life has a funny way of surprising you when you least expect it
16. People change. Friends move on and that’s okay. Whether it’s a blow out or you gradually just stop talking, friendships do end and it’s totally okay. Sometimes you need to make room for yourself to grow and while some friendships are worth fighting for, there comes a time when you just need to let go
17. Speaking of letting go, it’s totally okay to do it! *insert frozen lyrics here! Whether it be letting go of a toxic relationship or just letting go of some anger you’ve had pent up, letting go really can be so relieving. You’re capable of so much more than you think you are, don’t be afraid!
18. Asking for help is okay – don’t let your pride get in the way!
19. Know your value. This is probably one of the most important things i’ve learned in my 21 years. Do not ever let somebody make you feel worthless. You are worth a million bucks and more babe, don’t ever forget it. Only allow people into your life that are going to raise you up, not tear you down.
20. Life moves quickly, whether you’re ready or not. Take advantage of what you have while you have it.
21. You will survive. Nothing lasts forever, not even pain. Not even heartache. You will move on and you will be okay. Things always get better, and if you hit rock bottom well then you can only go up from there!
Thanks so much for reading, i love you all so much and hope you’re having the best day!